Sunday, May 25, 2014

Ruth


Chapter 1, Back in the days when judges led Israel, there was a famine in the land. A man from Bethlehem by the name of  Elimelech  left home with his wife and his two sons to live in the country of Moab. His wife’s name was Naomi; his sons were named Mahlon and Kilion. They all went to the country of Moab and settled there.  Elimelech Naomi's husband died; and she was left, and her two sons.   And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years.  Mahlon and Chilion died also both of them; and the woman was left of her two sons and her husband. Then she arose with her daughters in law, that she might return from the country of Moab unto the land of Judah.   And Naomi said unto her two daughters in law, Go, return each to her mother's house: the LORD deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.  And they lifted up their voice, and wept. 

 

Chapter 1 continued: Orpah kissed her mother in law; and went back to her family. But  Ruth clave unto her.   She said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law. Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:  Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.  When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.  So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabitess, with her, out of the country of Moab: and they came to Bethlehem in the beginning of barley harvest.

 

 

Chapter 2, Naomi had a kinsman of her husband's, a mighty man of wealth, whose name was Boaz.  Ruth said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean ears of corn after him in whose sight I shall find grace. And she said unto her, Go, my daughter. And she went, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz.  Boaz came from Bethlehem, and said unto unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this? The servant answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab

Chapter 2 Continued: Then Boaz spoke to Ruth: "Listen, my daughter. From now on don't go to any other field to glean. Stay right here in this one. And stay close to my young women.  Then she fell on her face, and bowed herself to the ground, and said unto him, Why have I found grace in thine eyes, that thou shouldest take knowledge of me, seeing I am a stranger?  And Boaz answered and said unto her, It hath fully been shewed me, all that thou hast done unto thy mother in law since the death of thine husband: and how thou hast left thy father and thy mother, and the land of thy nativity, and art come unto a people which thou knewest not heretofore.  The LORD recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust. 

 

 Chapter 3,   Naomi said to Ruth, "My dear daughter, isn't it about time I arranged a good home for you so you can have a happy life.  Boaz of our kindred, winnoweth barley to night in the threshingfloor.  Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking.  And she went down unto the floor, and did according to all that her mother in law bade her.  And it came to pass at midnight, that the man was afraid, and turned himself: and, behold, a woman lay at his feet.

Chapter 3 Continued:  He said, Who art thou? And she answered, I am Ruth thine handmaid: spread therefore thy skirt over thine handmaid; for thou art a near kinsman.  And he said, Blessed be thou of the LORD, my daughter: for thou hast shewed more kindness in the latter end than at the beginning, inasmuch as thou followedst not young men, whether poor or rich.   And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.   And when she came to her mother in law, she told her all that the man had done to her.  

 Chapter 4,  Boaz went straight to the public square and took his place there. Before long the "closer relative," the one mentioned earlier by Boaz, came by. He said unto the kinsman, Naomi, that is come again out of the country of Moab, selleth a parcel of land, which was our brother Elimelech's,  And I thought to advertise thee.  If thou wilt redeem it, redeem it: but if thou wilt not redeem it, then tell me; and I am after thee, then I will redeem it.  What day thou buyest the field of the hand of Naomi, thou must buy it also of Ruth the Moabitess, the wife of the dead, to raise up the name of the dead upon his inheritance. Stay Tuned.

Chapter 4 Continued:The kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself; for I cannot redeem it.   So Boaz took Ruth, and she was his wife: and when he went in unto her, the LORD gave her conception, and she bare a son.  And the women said unto Naomi, Blessed be the LORD, which hath not left thee this day without a kinsman, that his name may be famous in Israel.   And the women her neighbours gave it a name, saying, There is a son born to Naomi; and they called his name Obed: he is the father of Jesse, the father of David.  Stay Tuned

 

No comments:

Post a Comment